Welcome to my BLOG

An account of my journey from a rural coal mining town in northeast Tuscaloosa County, Alabama

to the Rocket City of Huntsville Alabama where I participated in the efforts of the United States of

America to put men on the moon and into orbit aboard the International Space Station. Along the way I raised a family , met many interesting people, and made numerous friends.

***************

NOTE: If you are new to this Blog and would like to read my adventure from the beginning, scroll down to my first entry and read up to the current date.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012


An Airplane in the Tree

It was December of 1939 and for some time I had been fascinated by a tree containing  bright lights and tinsel that had somehow grown in the living room of our log house.  My sister told me that it is our “Christmas Tree” and that someone called “Sandy Claws” will put presents for us under it when Christmas comes.

I heard my daddy say “That boy sure likes that Christmas tree, doesn’t he?”    He picked me up and held me near the tree as he said “Hey boy, you won’t have to wait until morning for every thing.  Reach in there and get that Airplane.”  Sure enough, sitting in the branches of the tree amid the lights and tinsel was a cross shaped rubber toy . 

I reached out and took it in my hands.  He called it an airplane, but that did not mean anything to me, so I just held it and  chewed on it.  

After a bit, he said, “Come here boy, let me show you how to fly that airplane.”  He took it from me, and holding it high, moved around the room making a humming sound.  

I did not understand why, but now I knew how to play with an airplane.
Copyright 2012© Willie E. Weaver

You are welcome to post comments to My Blog.

1 comment: